Friday, November 15, 2013

Recipe: Rye Bread

I'm a total starch girl. You can take away my sweets, my veggies, even my meat. But don't even THINK of taking my potatoes, bread, and pasta away! 

I adore fresh homemade bread, and I've wanted to make rye or pumpernickel for quite some time. I found this recipe online for use in the bread maker that is pretty easy and quick to make...and tastes DELISH! :-)

Here's what you need: 

* 1 1/8 cups water
* 2 tablespoons molasses
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups rye flour
* 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
* 3/4 teaspoon caraway seed
* 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Put the ingredients in the bread maker per your user manual (mine says to do the liquids first). You can do two things: put it on the Basic cycle and let it do everything for you, which is what I normally do; or set it on the Dough cycle so you can bake it later, which is what I ended up doing (I wanted a regular loaf of bread this time rather than the square chunk the machine makes). When it is done, place the dough in a greased bread pan (you can sprinkle some cornmeal in the bottom for a nicer look). Cover with a warm, damp towel and let rise in a warm area for an hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. 

Just a warning: You might want to double the recipe because I've noticed that hot, fresh bread tends to disappear before it has had the chance to cool. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a stay at home mom to three beautiful children: Stephen, Samuel, and Elizabeth. I simply ADORE cooking and love trying out new recipes. My goal is to master several different world cuisines. I enjoy sewing, especially for my daughter! Lastly, I am a woman on a mission: to prove, once and for all, that blondes ARE smart. ;-)

Followers